Saturday, March 27, 2010

Hormel Chili

Why on earth would I review a can of chili?  Namely because I can, but also because I just ate it. 


When I was a kid, I didn't like chili.  I didn't realize that this was because my mother, who is NOT A COOK or a chef or anyone who should ever produce food, used to make chili using ketchup, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, stewed tomatoes, and kidney beans.  I'm sure there were other ingredients, but good lord, I do not like tomatoes all that much and all the saltines in the world couldn't make her chili taste edible. 

Then one day I decided to sample the school cafeteria's chili and was surprised to find that I actually liked it.  And I wondered why the heck my mom's chili was so awful and the school's chili, which was SCHOOL food, was so good.

I also liked Frito Chili Pie.  I tried it once at Sonic and that was it.  I was hooked.  Frito Chili Freakin Pie.  And I decided I wanted to make it at home, too.  But who wants to MAKE a pot of chili to do that, right?  So I picked up a can of Hormel and hoped for the best.  And I was very surprised that not only was it good, but it was the same level of good I had experienced at school. 

This might not sound like a glowing review.  "It tastes like school food?  What?  Ew!" 

Dude, it's chili in a can.  This is not gourmet food.  But when you want chili and you want it now and you don't want anything really offensive to the stomach (it isn't spicy or anything) and that doesn't contain weird stuff or taste ketchupy, Hormel is like some kind of magical deity floating down from the heavens and bestowing fantastic cans of bliss upon you.  Plus, I can get it in Japan EASILY.

Unfortunately, Fritos are something that were available briefly in Japan for about two months and are almost impossible to get.  Ditto for Velveeta.  So my Frito Chili Pie must be re-created with tortilla chips and actual cheese.  Which is good enough.  It would be hard to fake the chili.  Then you'd be either making it (annoying) or using something like curry (kind of gross). 

Additionally, Hormel is meat.  And protein.  Being in Japan where everything is slathered in soy-based sauce, meat is difficult to get pre-made.  If I want something meaty and don't want to cook?  Hormel is there for me.  I love you, Hormel.

No comments:

Post a Comment