Friday, January 28, 2011

Amy's Rice Mac & Cheese

I often think about how much I used to enjoy the rich, creamy taste of Stouffer's macaroni and cheese.  I think by far, their mac and cheese is the absolute best.  It's cheddary and fantastic, with extra flavor added by the parts that get slightly burned in the oven.  Yum. 

Yes, I think about it and dream, for I can never have it again.  And I wondered, "Isn't there a gluten free mac and cheese that is comparable to Stouffer's??"

There is.  Almost.

I bought Amy's Rice Mac for $5.50 at the store (ouch, seriously, ouch) and took it home to eat it almost immediately.  It didn't burn quite as I had hoped it would (a little brown on top is always pretty tasty), but it was bubbly and cheesy, and I stirred it up well before taking a first bite. 

The pasta was firm, not mushy.  After my experience with Glutino's pasta falling apart in the cooking process, it was kind of surprising.  (Although I did bake this and microwaved Glutino.)  The cheese was almost like Stouffer's.  It was somewhere between that and Swanson.  (Those two would be my absolute favorites.) 

At first I thought there wasn't enough food in the tray, but as I got to the last few bites, I realized it was pretty much a perfect amount, as long as you don't inhale it all at once.  One package is 400 calories, so it's a pretty good size for a meal.

Amy's also makes a version with ordinary pasta and a version with soy "cheese."  I can't speak for soy, but I imagine if you are not on the gluten-free pathway, you could enjoy the regular variety very easily.  Or heck, enjoy the rice version, although I think it costs at least a dollar or two more than the other variety, and that totally sucks.  As a poor college student I really hate looking at two products (one gf, one not) and seeing that the gf one costs twice as much.  Makes me wonder if it REALLY does or if the stores are screwing with me because they think gf is some kind of wacky health fad.

(Yes, there are people who think it's a wacky health fad.)

No comments:

Post a Comment