Sunday, January 30, 2011

Evol Fire Grilled Steak Bowl

http://evolfoods.com/bowls/

Today at Whole Foods I spied these bowls, and despite the $6 pricetag I picked up the fire grilled steak.  I've been needing beef lately.  NEEDING. 

Anyway, I prepared it in the oven and mixed it all up when it was finished.  It contains corn, peppers, beans, rice, steak, and some mixture of lime and cilantro.  There's also some cheese on top. 

The first thing I thought when I saw the contents all mixed up was, "Wow!  There's a lot of steak in this!"  I had thought the three or four pieces I saw on top were IT, but there was literally enough that you could have a piece of steak in every bite.

The flavor was good, and nothing tasted off or unnatural.  The cilantro and lime flavor was reminiscent of the grilled steak tacos at Taco Bell, which I miss immensely. 

If I had to make a complaint about it, it's that it's a bit small.  I couldn't imagine eating JUST that for a meal.  It could stand to be ... I don't know ... 1/3 larger, or maybe have more beans or something filling.  That said, it's really tasty, beefy, balanced (protein, starch, veggies, and cheese!) and I wouldn't mind trying one of the other varieties in the store ... whenever I win the lottery.  (Why can't any mainstream dinners be truly gf??  I can't afford $6-7 per meal.)

1 comment:

  1. I had the same thing tonight for dinner - it was good - probably the best 'normal' tasting frozen meal I've had in years! but really salty! I think it must have been a mistake, so I plan on trying again some day when my kids aren't around (too expensive to buy more than one). And you're right - lotsa meat! I actually shared with the dog.

    ReplyDelete