Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Amy's Cheese Pizza with Rice Crust

While I was in Japan I had almost no problem getting rice crusts with which to make my own little pizzas.  And they were good, too.  I just hated having to buy all the ingredients and assemble them.  You never know which cheese is any good, or which pizza sauce, and then I had to figure out ingredients.  Black olives and mushrooms were easy.  Green peppers a little more difficult.  Ham couldn't be counted on to taste any good, and pepperoni?  What I really wanted was pepperoni.

So I dreamed of a time when I could just go down to the store and get a frozen pizza and be done with it.  Oh sure, I could pay the $17 and go to Z Pizza and have them do everything for me.  But until that time, I just wanted to taste a real frozen pizza like I used to make when I was aching for a pizza but didn't want to go out to get one.

The Safeway nearby stocks the rice crust pizza, as does just about every other supermarket I've encountered so far (Walmart is not a supermarket and does not count).  It was probably $12-14 as I recall.  A bit pricey, but still better than Z Pizza's $4 GF markup.  I got it home and took it to the oven.

Now, I'm in a bit of a contamination pickle (nothing to do with actual pickles) here.  I share a kitchen with several other people.  Amy is telling me to stick the crust on the oven rack and I know I can't do that.  So I put it on tin foil.  I'm sure this affected my baking.  I just know it.  But it was my only option.

In pretty much the time stated on the box I had a hot pizza waiting for me.  But let's first go into how the thing looked, right?  It looked cheesy enough, I guess.  There wasn't a lot of sauce trying to escape, as there often is in these kinds of pizzas.  So that was a plus in the "not much cheese" department.  The crust looked nice too.  It smelled kind of frozen pizza-ish on the way out, but no matter if it tastes good.

I would have to say I would give the pizza a 3/5.  I am taking into account that it is frozen pizza and that frozen pizza is frozen pizza.  The cheese had almost no flavor or texture, which was weird.  When I got a bite of the inner part of the pizza all by itself, I could usually taste the cheese, but if there was any hint of that large outer crust, I could not.  The sauce might as well have not existed, and then there was the crust.  It was floppy due to my tinfoil predicament, and the texture was as you'd expect from GF food.  Gritty.  But the flavor was nice.  It reminded me of those artisan-type breads you'd get at Panera.  You know, garlic and sun-dried tomato herb bread or something.

On the whole, I think I might buy it again if I could find some pepperoni to put on it.  And maybe some more cheese ...

No comments:

Post a Comment