Friday, December 31, 2010

Food For Life Rubber Tortillas

I mean, brown rice.  That's what I meant.  Brown rice tortillas.

I love Mexican food (as you may have noticed in some other posts) and one thing I really missed was tortillas.  Not only are tortillas good for making Mexican fare, but they're also good for those times when you want to make a sandwich but not use bread.  My local convenience store had these roll-ups with vegetables, roast beef, potato salad, and sweet chili sauce.  They were really, really good.  Too bad I couldn't eat them anymore ...

So not only did I want to make Mexican-ish stuff, but I wanted food wraps.  When I finally found these tortillas and remembered to buy them (found at Whole Foods; forgot to buy), I had every intention of making some kind of turkey sandwich.

The tortillas were frozen when I first got them, so I put them in the fridge.  I did not have real access to cooking/heating implements apart from the microwave, so I didn't heat them up any.  I just took out a tortilla, assembled my stuff, and went on with my life.

The first one, which was the freshest, I suppose, wasn't so bad.  It was a bit chewy, but it was flexible enough and wrapped fairly well.  It was the subsequent attempts at rolling up the now rubbery and extra-chewy tortillas that resulted in breakage and much gnawing.  I felt kind of like a dog with its chew toy, only a chew toy that's actually edible at some point.  It was, in a word, unpleasant.

And then I got my cooking implement.  Well, I thought, I can give these another shot and see if they cook up very well.  If they do, then at least it's not a total waste (since I had another package in the freezer). 

Actually, for quesadilla purposes, these turn out quite nicely.  Very crispy and they have a pleasant flavor.  I'm considering giving up on bread all together and just using these instead (okay, we still need bread for peanut butter purposes.  I cannot eat pb&j on a hot, crispy tortilla.  That's just wrong

But anyway, I think they are very good when grilled, either with oil or without.  They just aren't very good raw.  They might be good if you heated it and then used it to make your roll-up sandwich, but I haven't tested that theory and probably won't.  Hopefully this next bread I'm going to try will be good enough and I'll forget all about rolly sandwiches. 

(More on bread later.)

No comments:

Post a Comment