Saturday, December 18, 2010

Amy's Tortilla Casserole Bowl

Oh, Amy.

I fell in love with Amy in college, when I first discovered her cheese enchiladas.  They weren't spicy or overpowered with weird sauce.  They were just cheesy and good. 

Then I fell into this chasm for several years which contained no Amy's products.  My hometown grocers didn't carry them, and then I was in Japan.  In Japan I could get verrrry few products, but fortunately those enchiladas were one of them.

I had held off buying any Amy's until now because I wanted to try all these other mysterious GF products in the supermarket.  But today I had a hankering for Mexican and I knew I wasn't going to make it all the way to Ala Moana or one of these mysteriously hidden Taco Bells.  I picked up two Amy's Mexican bowls at the supermarket and trudged home.

The first on my list was the tortilla casserole bowl.  I like tortilla chips, so I thought this would be tasty.  Since I'm sharing a kitchen with umpteen people, I decided not to be an oven hog (even though no one is ever home) and make it in the microwave. 

I think my review of this item is, "Hmm."  It wasn't really bad but it wasn't really good.  I would have liked some more cheese than the bit flicked on top.  The tortilla part tasted okay on the edges, but in the middle was soggy and dry at the same time.  I wasn't sure what else was in there (it's a casserole, after all) but mostly could just taste corn chip and a weird sweetness that I assume was some tomato substance.  It had the veggie sweetness of bell peppers.

The black beans were pretty nice.

So I don't know if I would buy this again.  Maybe, if I had an oven all to myself, I would go for it.  Or maybe I'd just be better off buying a can of beans, some tortilla chips, salsa and cheese.  Or making my fantastic Taco Bell "relatively gluten free mexican dinner I think" of nachos, beans, and rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment