Monday, December 20, 2010

Van's Gluten Free Cinnamon French Toast Sticks

I love cinnamon.  Right now we're working on the whole gay marriage thing, but once that's done I want to legalize marriage between one person and one shaker of cinnamon, because I love cinnamon that much.  There isn't much that can't be improved with a dash of cinnamon.

Since I'm riding the Gluten Free Train and baked goods are kind of difficult territory, I often find myself wishing there were more cinnamon-based products I could indulge in that were pre-cooked and didn't contain dates (I hate dates--you hear that, Enjoy Life?).  Or raisins.  Don't go thinking you could just swap out the dates for raisins and trick me. 

I want a cinnamon roll or a coffee cake or some really GOOD snickerdoodles, and of course this is a hard thing to do unless you're keen on baking by yourself.  Right now I don't have a kitchen per se.

So when I saw Van's cinnamon french toast sticks at my local Whole Foods?  Well, I haddd to buy them. 

After a few recent disappointments, I was really worried about these.  But I had nothing to worry about.  I opened the box and found toast-shaped slices with indentations (each slice can be broken into three "sticks").  You can stick them in your toaster on a medium setting, and voila!  French toast!

The cinnamon scent and the residue of cinnamon left on my fingers was pleasantly overwhelming.  I took one slice and popped it into the toaster.  It actually didn't cook all the way totally (slightly cool in the center) but was still okay when I ate it. 

Actually, more than okay.

CINNAMON PARADISE. 

It was so good, but I had just had lunch and couldn't have another just yet.  The sticks broke apart so easily, and apart from realizing I would need to set the dial a little higher next time, there were no cons to speak of with these beautiful bits of toast.  The only thing I would say is that their status as "french toast" is pretty questionable.  They don't contain any egg or dairy.  So I would call them more like, "Cinnamon toast-shaped patties" than french toast sticks.  But still.  Delicious.  I can't wait to try the waffles I bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment