Friday, December 24, 2010

Ian's Gluten Free Chicken Tenders

I was in the middle of my Whole Foods stupor when I saw something big and yellow.  The amazing yellowness drew me out of my stupor long enough for me to see things like "fish fingers" and "chicken tenders" and "french bread pizza" and "gluten free."

Ian's appears to be made to appeal to smaller kids who can't eat those yummy things that their peers would be eating in kids meals.  They have all sorts of healthy and allergen-free foods that appeal to kids, like mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, and corn dog bites. 

Of course, we adults also enjoy those things ...

At Whole Foods I paid about $8 for a (small, small, small) package of chicken tenders.  When I opened the package I found three relatively thick tenders (still small) and two skinnier ones that were mating.  Unfortunately, they had not given birth, otherwise I might have gotten a serving of tenders worthy of eating half the package. 

See, five tenders is a serving as far as I'm concerned.  If it were six, I might be able to split it 3/3.  Three is almost a reasonable serving, and then I could eat some kind of side dish.  =meal.  But five ... see, two would be a very pathetic serving.  So I just baked all five.  $8 lunch at home.

Okay, so hopefully they would taste good.

After some struggling with the oven, I managed to bake my tenders and get them into my room.  I took out some salad dressing for dipping (honey dijon) and set out to test my tenders.

I have to say that they are pretty good.  My attempts at cooking tenders in the past had resulted in the breading just falling right off.  So I was glad when the breading stayed on these.  The chicken was cooked all the way through despite my oven issues, and the breading was crispy except where oil had kind of seeped out of it, as happens when you bake things. 

The only real issue I had was that they were decidedly unsalted.  I'm one of those people who has blood pressure not affected by salt (in fact, my bp is lowwww), so I don't mind a heavy dose of salt.  These are very, very unsalted.  The salad dressing helped balance that out, so it wasn't so bad.  Just, a little bit of seasoning of some sort might have been nice. 

All in all, after over a year of missing out on chicken nuggets and tenders and patties, I was very pleased.  I would definitely buy these again if I won the lottery and try the other varieties of foods available.

No comments:

Post a Comment