Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tasty Bite

I've had a few of these Tasty Bite Indian dinners, so I just want to make a general review.

These are listed as gluten-free and some are also listed as vegan.  Obviously, anything with the paneer cheese in it is not going to be vegan.

You can cook them in the microwave (not recommended) or by submerging the foil pouch in boiling water for five minutes.  They do not require any refrigeration before cooking, which is awesome.

I haven't had a whole lot of authentic Indian food.  I lived in Japan, where bastardized Indian food is king, and where even in Indian restaurants run by Indians (or people from that general area) you aren't sure if what you're getting is authentic or catered to the weakling tongues of the general population.

I ate at an Indian restaurant once, it was pretty good, but it did not agree with me in the slightest.  I don't think it was a glutening, but it just did not ... agree.

These, however, are great.  They aren't too spicy (sorry if that's your thing) and cook up quick.  They're relatively healthy, and surely all that beans or spinach is good for you.  And no gluten.  Amazing.

I've seen them retail from between $2.50-4.50 depending on the store.  Which is probably way less than you'd pay in the restaurant.  Some people mention them tasting nasty microwaved, so I recommend boiling.  There are quite a few varieties to choose from, so why not try them all?  So far I've had about four different kinds.  I'm still partial to the palak paneer.  Yum.  And since I have a boiling water pot in my pod (no kitchen in here) it's something I can cook without going into the main house!  Joy!

(No, no one paid me to say this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment