Thursday, December 23, 2010

Oatios

One thing I really miss is Cheerio's.  Plain, ordinary Cheerio's.  I'm not a huge fan of sugary cereal, and I wish that Cheerio's didn't contain that pesky wheat starch.  I'd bought a giant box of the stuff before having to go GF and ate one bowl of it just to see what happened.  The result was not good.

Oatios are not GF per se.  They contain no wheat, and if you can tolerate oats they are supposedly fine for you to eat.  The jury is still out on oats, and these are just oats. 

I thought that since they looked like Cheerio's and were oats ... well ... they would be like Cheerio's.  Right? 

I opened the box to see what they were like dry.  They were puffy, very porous, and very light to crunch.  Not like Cheerio's.  More like a hybrid cheerio-fruit loop.  Also, very bitter.  I thought maybe milk would change this, so I poured some into a bowl and put some milk on it.

Basically, it was a bowl of bitter, soggy oat rounds that I had to force myself to finish and which my stomach went, "WHAT ... IS ... THIS???" to.  I saw another brand of wheat-free oat circles, and I'm kind of clinging to a hope that those will be any good.  This box, which I just bought today, will be going into the trash.  Blecch.

No comments:

Post a Comment