Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Glutino Penne Alfredo

Of course it's delicious!  It says so right on the website!

Now that I'm in America and have at my disposal a seemingly limitless supply of GF yummies, I had to run out and buy ... everything.  Well, as much as I can carry at one time and that I can afford, since I quit my job and moved back to America.

I went to Whole Foods and gawked a bit, but ended up buying a handful of frozen items including this Glutino Penne Alfredo.  I love me some alfredo.  I love me some penne.  And if it looks anything like it does on the box, well, count me in!

After paying my $6-8 (it was something like that), I expected quality.  So imagine my disappointment when I opened up the box and saw this sad plate of frozen, gray noodles staring at me as if all crying out for me to end their pathetic, gray lives.  Okay, I know brown rice pasta is going to be a little sad-looking, but where was the sauce??  Maybe the sauce was hiding.

I put it in the microwave and some sauce started to peek out as it bubbled and rotated in the cancer box.  It smelled pretty good.  But what about flavor?

After dodging my quasi-housemate's (too hard to explain) dogs to get to the front door, I sat down in my room, stirred up my pasta ... and ...

Wait, all my penne had broken into sad fragments of its former penne shapeliness.  What the heck?  But that doesn't mean it can't still taste good, right? 

I took a bite.  It was ... underwhelming.  There was the mildest hint of creaminess, like when you reheat macaroni and cheese in the microwave and it mostly tastes like bland noodle and a little bit of cheese.  There was just no flavor.  So it wasn't bad.  It was edible.  I didn't throw it away or anything.  But it just tasted like nothing.  Noodle and noodle. 

I wondered if it would be better in the oven.  Normally I would cook things in the oven.  But I didn't see any baking instructions (even though it refers to microwaving as "baking" on the back for some reason).  So if that were a possibility I would try it.  However, I don't think I'll be purchasing this--or that mac and cheese I saw next to it in the freezer case--again.

No comments:

Post a Comment