Monday, December 20, 2010

Amy's Mexican Casserole Bowl

After the slight disappointment with Amy's tortilla bowl, I was a bit hesitant to try this other Mexican-flavored bowl.  But I was hungry and dammit, I am on this total Mexican kick after being denied Mexican food for so long.  I slit that thang and gave it cancer.

I must say that with the tortilla bowl, I had just walked 40 minutes home with it in my bag and so I thought in the 4-5 minute span, I could just put it in for 4:15 or something and it would be fine.  It was underdone in the center.  For this one, I gave it its full 5 minutes, but it too was a little under-done in the center.  I'm not sure if this is a problem with our microwave or just with the cooking time. 

This bowl contains a chili-like substance, masa, corn, peppers, and cheese.  It claims there are olives in there as well.  It is, in a word ...

Fantastic.

Even though I had to throw it in the cancer box, it was still so good.  A nice, balanced mix of ingredients and flavors that left me feeling very satisfied when I was done.  And relatively healthy, too.  I got the full sodium variety, but they also have a low sodium type. 

My only problem with this ... is that ohhhhh it's like $7.  They have it at most of the stores around me, and it ranges from $6.50-6.99,  One thing I like about frozen food is that it's cheaper than eating out, but this is not.  The only convenience is that I can eat it at home without anyone judging me.  And it's probably lower in calories than Wahoo's or Taco Del Mar.  But as a student who is already paying the Hawaii premium and the GF premium ... ouch. 

Come on, Amy.  I love you.  Yes, I'm two-timing you with cinnamon, but we can all get along, can't we?   

No comments:

Post a Comment