Friday, December 31, 2010

Ener-G: Light Tapioca vs. Brown Rice

One plus side for the Ener-G breads is that you don't have to freeze them and that they are shelf stable.  Although I bought a six pack that came with one covered in all kinds of furry green-ness, they do keep quite well for a long time. 

Their big problem is their taste.  They taste ... weird. 

When it came to the light tapioca loaf, I wasn't too repulsed.  It was a weird flavor, but thus far I had had nothing but weird flavors from gluten-free breads.  The Gluten Free Pantry mix tasted weird, the mix I got in Japan tasted weird, and this bread tasted weird.  Hey, it's bread without gluten.  It's going to taste weird.

The light tapioca bread reminded me of rye.  It had a light sourness to it that wasn't unpleasant.  You could usually overpower it with whatever you were putting on the bread.  Butter and jam on a toasted slice would cut the sourness easily.  Grill it in butter with some ham and cheese and you would barely taste it at all. 

I thought the brown rice loaf would be similar.  Yeah, I need to stop thinking things.

At first I didn't mind it.  But then as I tried to finish off the loaf, the extreme sour flavor of it kind of got to me.  I just couldn't hide it the way I had with the light tapioca.  I tried butter and other sweet toppings, but only putting a BUTTLOAD of stuff between two slices could make it edible.

Fortunately for me, I've tried another brand and found something better.  Not just edible, but legitimately GOOD.  But if you're stuck with the Ener-G, I would suggest the light tapioca, at the very least.  I haven't tried all their breads, but after slogging through the loaf of brown rice, I don't think I'll be trying much more.  I hope those hot dog buns in my cabinet aren't as bad.

4 comments:

  1. hi there, which other brand is better?
    i just tried the brown rice loaf and it's super sour, i thought it has gone bad. i googled..and found your blog :)

    thanks
    sheren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't keep up with comments (I think you're the first comment ever) so apologies for a late response.

    I think for breads, Udi's is by far the most normal-tasting. It isn't shelf stable quite like Ener-G, but it tastes like real bread. I've heard that Whole Foods makes some pretty good bread as well, but there isn't a Whole Foods everywhere. Schar is also supposed to be pretty good, but again, I have no idea.

    The only other brand I tried was Rudi's, but it was really sweet. Not awful, just not as good for savory sandwiches. Maybe good for toast or pb&j. I think I made a blog post about how ... uh ... appealing it was to the ants. Glad they liked it.

    I'd like to try some other breads in the future and make this blog actually informative, but I am a po' po' po' student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I forgot: Gluten Free Pantry's Favorite Sandwich Bread is pretty good. Reminds me a little of Schlotzsky's for some reason. Maybe in that it's a little cakey. But that one requires a bread machine or the desire to bake bread. Buying bread is so much easier, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi there, thanks for the replies!
    somehow i can't post comments anymore from your blog.

    i'm in singapore, we have very limited selections for gluten free stuff. and i have tried Udi's bread, and muffins, they are great! and they cost an arm and a leg. haha.

    i love Schlotzsky's and i miss their stuff! they need to open a branch in singapore

    thanks for all the tips. i'll stick to Udi's for now, i guess.
    yeah - i'm too lazy to bake a bread, i'd rather buy one ready made :)

    thanks again!

    ReplyDelete