Thursday, December 30, 2010

Taco Bell Chicken Quesadilla ... OR IS IT??

I had an idea yesterday with that tasty, tasty hummus. 

It involved:

Two slices colby-jack cheese
One Food For Life brown rice tortilla
Hormel grilled chicken strips
... and that organic hummus.

I spread the hummus on half of the tortilla and put the tortilla in my skillet.  Then I placed cheese so that it covered the surface of the skillet.  I waited for the cheese to get melty, and placed chicken on one half of the tortilla, so it was almost covered.  Then I folded in half and heated on both sides for a bit.

The result was not just tasty, but it also reminded me of those Taco Bell quesadillas with their jalapeno sauce.  I always found those incredibly tasty, but of course they are now forbidden as per my intestines. 

And really, this is probably a lot healthier.  Not sure if it's cheaper (survey says: Probably Not), since Taco Bell is the cheapest of cheap.  What's a quesadilla, $2.50?  Let's see, six tortillas for $4.50, ten slices of cheese for $5, six servings of chicken for $6 if we buy two packets and hummus was $4 ... so we'll call it $20 for six servings if we're conservative with the cheese ... yeah, not cheaper.

Healthier.  And no gluten. 

I wasn't crazy about the Food For Life tortillas at first, but now that I'm using them for quesadillas I find them much more appetizing.  I had wanted to make cold wraps, but after the first one they were pretty unappetizing.  Just dry and rubbery.  They do crisp up nicely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment