Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Mi-Del Gluten Free Ginger Snaps

I had this really amazing ginger-molasses cookie the other day, and because it's Christmas and Christmas is gingerbread season, I felt myself hankering for more of that gingery goodness.  Unfortunately that other cookie, while amazing, was also $2.79!  For a single cookie!  A cookie that claimed to be two servings!  Too much horror for one beautiful cookie!

So I looked to alternatives.  I knew this would mean giving up soft, chewy deliciousness for crispiness.  I didn't care.  So much.  Kind of.  A little.  (30%)

The stores I went to had several brands of cookies.  They had those dateful Enjoy Life cookies.  They had various cookies bearing lady-names (Pam's?  Lucy's?  Something like that.)  But then there was Mi-Del.

I'd had a pretty good experience with Mi-Del and their faux-reos.  Also, some other cookie.  So I thought they could be trusted, at least a bit.  Additionally, the ginger snaps were what I could find (the only gf cookie) in a mainstream supermarket where I was already buying groceries.  I make special trips to the natural foods stores, but sometimes don't buy anything.  (I get points or something for buying at the normal supermarket.)

Here's the good news:  It's all good news.

Although they are crunchy cookies, they aren't overwhelmingly so.  Five cookies clocks in at 140 calories, and they contain some minute bit of nutrition (I refuse to eat food that does not contain nutrition).  They are flavorful, gingery, and delicious.  They would probably make a fantastic pie crust or addition to pudding.

I think I paid around $4.50.  I'm beginning to notice that at the supermarket, any time there's a regular product next to the gf version, the gf version is like, 2-3 dollars more.  Hurrah.  Like they're blaming us for having irritable intestines that have a kind of stigmata reaction when they see wheat.  "Well, we know your body is broken and you're probably on a lot of pills, so as a consolation prize we're going to charge you more for food.  COOKIE TAX.  PAY UP, BROKE-TINES!"

No comments:

Post a Comment